Tuesday, June 6, 2017

How does Schema Theory or Cognitive Development Theory Relate to my own practice

After learning about the Schema Theory I realized that it is important to remember that not all students are going to have previous experiences or schemas when learning about new content in the classroom. This is why I need to make sure to build background knowledge to help them better understand and make connections. Some of the different ways I plan to do this are providing word walls of vocabulary words and including examples. Realia will also be used to give examples of what those vocabulary words mean. I will use the more complex words in sentences so students understand the different ways they can be used. Another way to build background knowledge is to take those complex words out of a text and have students come up with their own definitions of the words. Then as a class we could go back to read the sentences and see if those definitions are accurate. This will allow students to remember the meaning of the vocabulary words because they will be explained in their own words. Frontloading vocabulary is crucial in primary grade levels because it builds new schema for students who have never heard of academic language.
In my student teaching having students pair share or work collaboratively in groups exposes students to different perspectives and allows them to better connect with academic language and build new schema. After making sure that all my students have built their schemas I will make sure to include entry and exit tickets at the end of each lesson to build on that background knowledge and strengthen it. I will use informational text to continue to expose them to those words and we will review the concepts daily for recall.


4 comments:

  1. Cynthia,

    I like that you would use word walls and realia to help your students build the background knowledge that they need to understand the content that you would be presenting to them. Great ideas!
    -Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cynthia,
    Thanks for providing some useful strategies to implement in the classroom. I think that is important to be mindful that all students come with different backgrounds and knowledge. It is important to embrace the power of diversity in a classroom setting. Great post! Very thoughtful.

    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forgot to mention that in my own teaching practice I will work to provide students with engaging learning experiences by having students participate in collaborative conversations as well as bring in a ton of realia.

    Hooray for teaching.

    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cynthia, I agree with you about building background for our little ones. This will help them paint a better picture on the task we are trying to teach...

    ReplyDelete